I have been scared of blades and razors all my life. It’s only recently that I said bye-bye to my battery operated shaver and bought myself a razor to get rid of unwanted hair. I saw a lot of YouTubers giving thumbs up to Gillette Venus Razor so I made mind to try it out. Girls (or people in general!) these days are switching to shaving for cost related reasons and feasibility.
Let’s be honest, shaving is so much better and affordable than the other hair removal methods out there because you don’t need to spend a lot of money on razors. Yeah, epilators are great too, but the good ones are kind of expensive here in India! 🙁 That’s why, I have switched to shaving and I don’t think I will ever go back to my old shaver-cum-epilator or get a new one. My first experience with shaving was not that great. I had ended up getting many shaving nicks which were very painful! But now, I have got hang of it. I don’t experience skin irritation, nicks or cuts anymore and it’s all because I have learnt how to shave properly!
Nope, I haven’t started using any special type of shaving cream or gel. They surely must be good and helpful in shaving, but I feel that we already have so many alternatives of them at our homes that we don’t need to spend our money to buy them! Today, I will be writing about top alternatives of shaving creams (or gels!) and as a bonus, I will also share some tips and tricks related to shaving. Keep on reading if you are excited to know about them.
Top 8 Alternatives For Shaving Creams
1. Aloe Vera Gel
Is there anything that Aloe Vera Gel CANNOT do? It is such a versatile product in every girl’s vanity. You can use it while you’re shaving to get a better shave. It also works wonders as an after-shave balm!
2. Hair Conditioner
(Good) Hair conditioners are pretty much expensive and probably not the most affordable alternative for shaving creams. But if you have one which you don’t use anymore or one that doesn’t suit your hair type then you can use it as shaving cream instead of tossing it in the trash.
3. Soaps and Body Wash
While you’re in the shower, you can use your favorite soap or body wash and when it’s time to rinse off the lather, you can just grab your razor to shave. Boom, That’s like killing two birds with one stone! (Bird poaching is illegal in India, just to let you know! #unrelatedfact) Basically, anything that lathers can be used in place of shaving cream – Except detergent, OK?
4. Body Lotions
Body lotions are, again, not an affordable alternative for shaving creams. But sometime it happens that you end up disliking a certain body lotion’s fragrance or consistency after buying it. At least you can use it for shaving instead of just letting it sit in a corner of your dresser.
The idea of using Honey on your body for shaving may sound disgusting, but it actually works! That’s why I’m mentioning it over here. It’s up to you whether you want to use it or not. ? Honey will also moisturize and condition your skin while you are shaving with it, do give it a try!
I don’t know why, but I’m not fond of glycerine. It just annoys me because it’s too sticky! Since it has moisturizing properties, you can use it to prep your skin to get a smooth shave.
7. Almond Paste
You can make Almond paste by grinding some almonds in a mixer. Once it’s finely milled, you can add honey to it. This paste can also be used as a face pack for dry skin, but we’re not here to talk about face packs. We’re going to use it for shaving first!
8. Coconut oil or Olive oil
I wasn’t sure if I was going to add oils to this list. There is no harm in using oils for shaving, it’s just that they are too slippery so you have to be extra careful with your razor! Keep your hand oil-free while you’re holding the razor.
Time for some shaving related tips!
- Never shave when you have dry / flaky skin. It will make everything worse, even if you are using some kind of barrier like aloe vera gel. Keep moisturizing your skin prior to your shaving appointment in the shower. ?
- Shave in straight lines. If you move your razor in a zig-zac motion, there’s a high chance that you will get a cut from the blades. That’s how I got my first cut while shaving, my hand slipped and I accidentally shaved my leg diagonally. ? Also, shaving after a warm shower helps a lot!
- Exfoliate your skin before shaving! Exfoliation will get rid of the dead skin cells on the top layer of your skin and open up the hair roots. That will help you to get the closest shave possible.
- Don’t shave too often. It will irritate your skin and cause razor burns. The best time to shave is when the length of the hair is about 1/4 of an inch. Same rule goes for waxing!
- Don’t hesitate to use men’s shaving products. Yes, brands do make individual shaving products for men and women. Still, it doesn’t mean that women can’t use men’s products and vice versa. The ones for women are just little more comfortable to use!
- Keep your razor clean. Use a toothbrush to clean the edges.
- Buy only those razors which come with interchangeable heads. I’d recommend Gillette Venus Razor because it is easily available in India. You can buy it on Amazon or Nykaa. (This post isn’t sponsored by Gillette in any way! ?)
- Toss your razor/razor head after 3-4 uses. If you notice any rust on the blades then toss it immediately!
Hope you all found this post help helpful! If you know about any other alternatives of shaving creams or any shaving tips then let me know in the comments below. I will see you guys in my next post! Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog if you want to receive more interesting posts directly to your inbox!
*main image source