Our skin needs special care and attention during winter season. It can become dry and rough easily if you don’t moisturize it properly. You can keep your skin soft and supple in this chilly weather just by following these 9 simple steps which I’m going to share with you today! Let’s get started..
How To Avoid Dry Skin During Winter Season
1. Drink a lot of water
Water keeps our skin well hydrated. It also flushes out all the impurities and toxins from our body. One should drink at least 3 liters of water everyday to maintain their overall health.
2. Exfoliate two to three times a week
Exfoliation is necessary all year around. During winters, it becomes more important because the dry air sucks up all the moisture from our skin and produces dead skin cells. You can buy body and face scrub from market or you can DIY your own scrub that’s not too harsh on the skin. Here is a simple recipe for a homemade scrub –
- 1 Tablespoon of Coffee (grounded)
- ½ Tablespoon of Sugar (powdered)
- 1 Tablespoon of Honey or Oil of your choice
3. Use only mild cleansers or body washes
Heavy duty face cleansers and body washes can make your skin even more dry! So choose the ones that are mild and gentle on your skin. Try to go for natural/SLS free cleansers and body washes only. My recommendations –
- Clean & Clear Morning Energy Apple Face Wash
- Patanjali Rose Face Wash
- Nivea Creme Coconut Shower Cream (contains SLS, but doesn’t dry out the skin. Reviewed here)
- Khadi Rose And Honey Body Wash SLS and Paraben Free (I haven’t used it, but it has positive reviews!)
4. Moisturize properly and frequently
Do I even need to say this? Of course not. Everyone already knows that moisturization is the key to achieve healthy and happy looking skin during winters. Keep your face cream and body lotion handy all the time, you never know when your skin can start to feel dry or itchy. My recommendations –
- DeBelle Fairness Cream which reduces dry skin, and hydrates the skin. (reviewed here)
- Himalaya Revitalizing Night Cream (reviewed here)
- Nivea Express Hydration Body Lotion (featured here)
5. Anddd if your skin feels itchy, DO NOT SCRATCH IT!
I repeat. Do Not Scratch It. Your skin can get irritated and turn red if you scratch it when it’s dry. My legs always get itchy during winters only when I haven’t moisturized them properly. So moisturize your skin to get rid of the itching!
Also Read: My Day And Night Time Skincare Routine For Winter (everything under Rs.300!)
6. Apply a good sunscreen
Sunscreen is as important in winter as it is during summer. Whenever you’re going to your terrace to bask in the sun, remember to apply a sunscreen or sunblock!
7. Don’t use super-hot water to shower or bath
Showering in hot, scalding water can dry out your skin like nothing else! Hot water can wash off all the protective natural oil your skin produces to keep itself moisturized. That’s why you should try to keep the water’s temperature medium-warm or lukewarm.
8. Use a dewy makeup base instead of mattifying one
Using a BB/CC Cream/Foundation with dewy finish will give your skin a more healthy look. Also try to avoid matte lipsticks and get ones which have a creamy, satin or glossy finish. My recommendations –
- Garnier BB Cream
- Lakme Complexion Care Cream (highly recommended)
- Maybelline Color Show Creamy Matte Lipsticks
- NYX Butter Lipsticks
- Organistick Lipsticks (reviewed here)
9. Use coconut or olive oil to remove your makeup instead of makeup removers
Makeup removers contain chemicals that can be drying to your skin. Instead of using makeup removers, you can use coconut oil, olive oil, thermal water or micellar water.
That’s how you can avoid dry and the dreaded itchy skin during winters. I hope you found the post helpful! Enjoy this winter season with lots of coffee and pakodas. I will see you all in my next post! ☺
Use of coconut oil for removing makeup sounds great!
perfect tips 🙂
Amazing tips, I love exfoliating?